January 25, 2011

You're the one I choose.


Because every person you meet or cross paths with each day is actually special and have their own stories to tell. If only we'd all take time to listen, cause sometimes, that's all they need.


As doctors (soon to be), sometimes we get so caught up in trying to find a diagnosis and cure for a patient that we neglect the fact that they are humans with feelings as well. Sure, it is important to diagnose and cure, but I think that "curing" them emotionally is important as well.

Today as I was speaking to an elderly patient in the ward, she poured out her fears and concerns to me. She was so fragile, not because of her illness, no, but because she was afraid of not being able to do the things she dreams of doing before she dies. She doesn't want to have any regrets she says. I don't know what expression I was showing at that time, but she reached over, touched and held both my hands in her hands, looked me in the eyes and gave her best attempt at a smile. At that moment, it wasn't just my hands she touched, but my heart too.

There are so many more things I need to learn. And somehow, I think I will learn something new each and every day, from patients, from people who cross paths with me. Feeling so grateful and lucky for this opportunity. Experiencing His blessings in the littlest things everyday. More than enough (:

xoxo, elvyna.

No comments: