April 10, 2011

What love really means.

What I learnt from the speaker in church today (taken from Matthew 5:38-48):


1) If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

2) If someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, offer him your cloak as well.

3) If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.

Basically it just means we shouldn't apply the "an eye for an eye" saying as Christians. I found it really interesting how he related it back to Jesus, indicating that He wasn't just a man of words, but a man of action. Compare these following points to the three above:

1) Jesus was beaten up by the Roman soldiers (Matthew 27:30).

2) Jesus was stripped of His clothes (Matthew 27:28).

3) Jesus carried His cross (Matthew 27:31-33).

Well, I'm not the kind of person that would actually take revenge and get even with someone if they've crossed me. Normally I'll just let things slide and tell myself, "It's ok, it doesn't matter, things'll be ok if I don't retaliate, etc, etc." However, the speaker today said that that is not really the way to deal with it. He said even though getting even is not an option, letting yourself be "bullied" isn't an option either. Instead, one should apply the above verses and react positively.

To be honest, I don't really understand what that means :/ So what do I do then? If someone criticises me, do i tell him/her, c'mon criticise me more? Meh :( I don't even know what I'm doing in church. Probably hearing but not listening. Or maybe it's like some isi tersirat which I don't get/understand :(

Whatever it is, I guess I just got to keep reading His word and try and find out what it means. I pray I become more Christ-like everyday and learn to seek first His kingdom and not care about things of this world because honestly right now, the world isn't very kind to me :(

xoxo, elvyna.

No comments: