March 12, 2011

There shouldn't be happy endings, happy moments are meant to be never ending.

Found this pic online and I thought it was really cute I have to post it! So adorable (:


Just got back from the Teddy Bear Hospital thing in Southampton General. It was one of the best times I've had in a really long time. Fulfilling in just the slightest way, yet it continued to fuel my interest in paediatrics and helped me reignite that passion.

Well, basically, all I did was go into the Paeds ward, teach and educate some of the kids with my stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, pen torch, tendon hammer, etc. I basically just took their teddies/stuffed toys (most kids have one with them on the wards) and practised examining them using the instruments I have. Later, I'll let the kids have their turn, trying out on their stuffed animals. Then there's the colouring and face painting sessions.

It is pretty heart wrenching to see so many tubes and gadgets attached to the child's nose/mouth/chest restricting their movements and all. Kids are meant to be playing outside, rolling around in the dirt, exploring, and learning. Not stuck in a hospital and undergoing treatment :( Ah :( Life.

Anyways, I went to the oncology ward after i was done with the normal paeds ward and I met two of the loveliest kids I've ever met. One was 5 and the other was 9. They were sisters. Both had cancer. I did the same things I did with the other kids with them and the joy in their eyes to see visitors, let alone people to come play with them, was all it took for me to fall for them. They were so optimistic, so smart, so loveable that for a moment, I did question God. Why them? They were just kids. They've barely seen much in life and cancer happened. Just then, I was reminded of Isaiah 55:8. I'll never understand His plans, His ways, but I just have to trust that they are good. Because they are.

So after playing with the both of them, I had to leave because the nurse had come in to give them drugs for chemotherapy. As I turned to leave, the 9 year old looked up and smiled at me saying, " I want to grow up and be a doctor like you."

Something in me broke at that point. It was hard to hold back tears.

I'm going to be the best doctor I can be, for kids like her, for them to be able to realize their dreams, as I am doing now.

xoxo, elvyna.

No comments: