November 28, 2010

If we loved again, I swear I'd love you right.

So I'm doing Palliative care starting this week for a week. Done with my Medicine block after that. I can't believe it has been three months since I started. So what have I learnt so far after being posted in Elderly care, Gastroenterology and Cardiology wards? Well, not much theory to be honest, but I certainly did learn to talk and communicate more with patients. To hear them out, even if it's about other things not related to their disease or treatment. Makes one realize they are human too, with their own stories of life, with their own family. It's a really humbling thing to listen to them. Made me do a lot of self reflecting and made me appreciate things/people around me more.


Talked to a patient the other day and we ended up talking about the World War which he fought in, and his family, and his values in life. I somehow related to him and he taught me a few things as well. It's amazing, I wonder if he knew, that he touched my life that day when I talked to him. I'll remember the things he said to me for a long time now. Some reasons why I love medicine: you get to meet people, see things, learn things. It's all a learning process, and I'm ready, like a sponge, to soak up if people are willing to teach. You don't just learn from the consultants or registrars on the wards.

Ah well, enough with my boring talk. Just thought I'd like to share how I feel after being in the hospital for 3 months. Well, that ends Winchester postings for me. Next up, Southampton General Hospital. Hopefully the doctors are friendly and willing to teach as well.

On a separate note, no one said life was easy. Heck, it's a roller coaster ride. But then again, when I've got a rock as strong as Him to hold on to, what's there to be afraid of? I take comfort in that every single day. On days when I feel so weak, with no one to turn to, with family so far away, I know, I know I can always turn to Him. He'll never fail me. He's not just another human, not just another friend who disappoints, He's my God, my everlasting Father who understands and holds me in the palm of His hands because I'm his precious daughter.

So amazing this grace that He shows. I'm forever grateful. Gives me a reason to smile and be thankful everyday (: Gotta stay strong and persevere.

xoxo, elvyna.


No comments: